Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Thursday 23 August 2012

Paint Rack Love and Reality.

I have been hanging my nose over a rather attractive Paint Rack on E-Bay this last few days. I really like it and the price is a very reasonable £35 plus postage. This would normally at the moment leave me thinking too much money but having just sold some of my extra bits and some of my sniper figures I felt I could indulge a little.
 
As you can see it's a bit of a babe holding about 86 Vallejo bottles. This is just what I need to hold the majority of my paint. I say majority not because I have more than 86 bottles of Vallejo dropper bottles but because the majority of my paints ARE Vallejo, the rest are a mix of Coat d'arms, Miniature Paints, Games Workshop foundation and washes as well as a few Winsor & Newton inks (which do not fit any paint rack anyway. So I had the choice date this sexy beast and have a small irritating stash of paints or think again. Well Mr. Lee supplied a link to another supplier he personally recommended. I checked them out and they had the dropper only option but also a version with shelves deep enough for all but the W&N inks. Price including postage was about the same as the one above which means if you just have the dropper style then it remains the better deal on paper. I will be buying that type of rack if I need a second one (I can make room). That's not going to happen anytime soon as I still have plenty of room having only been buying paints for the last year and a bit.
 
This is how the German one comes (though it's in a box before you say anything!). With a fairly basic one sided set of instructions as it's very easy to put together. It just holds with good old friction, well mine did until I started to put the other side on and slipped and then it seemed not to be happy about keeping that side on so I reinforced with glue. I would recommend doing this anyway as I doubt it will be happy with being broken down and rebuilt. It took all told (ignoring the glue drying bit) about ten minutes to put together. Here is a link to the website.
 
This is what my desk looked like just before I started to make up the stand, in fairness not unlike it is most of the time and I still can paint well enough as it is.
 
This is how it looked for about ten minutes! Though I have to admit all the paints are still in position and I already have found myself reaching for a colour that probably would have been passed over. I have filled some of the space with a few models waiting their turn to be painted and my 6mm paper flags and a few other bits directly in front of them. Other things like my steam engine need a new home (not that you could see it anyway) but you can see my vase a lot better now which for me is good LOL. So yes I would recommend the supplier. It's great for other types of pot (the top row is best served by being against a wall as mine is) the delivery speed is nice and fast and I would be happy to get another if that cute thing was not available. The one negative about this type of stand though as Mr. Lee pointed out is the footprint it takes up on the desk, it's deeper than the bottle type simply because the ledge has to be wider. I've been using mine for the last couple of days and it's doing me fine.

Don't forget my Blog Give Away which is listed as the post below this one for the time being at least LOL.

11 comments:

  1. Oh you fiend!! I wasn't planning on buying a paint rack but now I find myself counting paint pots and measuring the space I have available! Lol

    Mind you I don't have a full sized desk so I suspect I'd have to get one of the smaller racks. Thanks for the idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you found it useful Ian, and that it served the purpose ;) I haven't glued mine together except for the bottom back brace. The rest is all friction.

    Am already looking at picking up a third one though, regardless of space issues, I am like you. Now that I can see the paints, I am picking colors that I would have normally passed over.

    Thanks also for the link back to my blog :) Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need a rack now. Would tidy things up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Lee, well you can thank Mr. Lee for the choice options as he pointed me in the right direction.

    @ Mr. Lee, The picking of the paints is the best thing about it. The worst (if you cn call it tat) is the need to fill it! Maybe you should try a Vallejo only one given te space issues?

    @ Lee, Roger and MIK, if you order one can you tell them it was because of a blog review? No need to say which blog but when we buy based on a blogs review it's worth mentioning to try and raise the awareness of how useful blogs are to suppliers

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Potentially a choice there, but I think I prefer these ones.. and filling it.. never a problem ;) Within a month of buying my second one it was already filled, and overflowing LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well worth the money in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stepped one is perfect and now tugging at my secret stash purse strings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was looking at these types of solutions a few days ago. I like the before and after desk pic. My table looks like the before pic. Looks much better with a rack so time to start looking.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will have to take another picture say in a weeks time after some searious use! So far it's holding up fine, desk space still rather reasonable even though my paintbrush stand has arived and it's well shall we say larger than expected?

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh damn and blast it! I was kidding myself that I didn't want one of these, but having seen it set up I'm not so sure now. If I can get it assembled and in place then I might be able to claim squatter's rights on the dining room table!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.