Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Tuesday 20 August 2013

I Need Help.........

..........OK not exactly new news I grant you, but actually I want your help. A few days ago I mentioned I feeling the urge to paint some fantasy figures but had no real hope of getting a game with them, well that remains the same but the urge to paint one off figures is mounting. Not that this will mean lots of hours each week painting up the figures but I would not mind getting a figure or two a month painted totally outside the usual mix that would build up to a fair group of figures that one day will get used in some Roleplay games...maybe.

So this is where you come in. I have a bunch of cleaned up orcs to paint, also a few character figures but I want to broaden the scope and need pointing in the direction of some Fantasy figures that fit my idea of how I want them to look like.

I am no real fan of the over heroic sizing, I want my figures to look more normal/ OK barbarian's will be covered in muscles and not a lot else but none of this giant sized weapons for all rubbish, lets keep things in proportion.

So any suggestions on suppliers? I don't want to pay the earth for the monsters and would like to stay reasonable for the adventurer types but would splash a bit more for a really good looking figure after all I am not going to go crazy at this right?............

Just to be clear I don't plan to effect my production rate for Project Waterloo, nor do I want it to dent my time on Matt's figures or my other scales, it's just something I want to dabble at when I want to stretch my legs a little.

I also plan to get rid of the few Shadow Run  figures I still have and will add them to my Wargames Community Currency page looking for a trade for some Fantasy figures that I can use, so keep an eye open for that if it's your bag, or jump in and ask, my e-mail address is in my profile.

Talking of that page, I already have up a number of items including an Anglo Saxon 6mm Baccus Army and will be adding a couple of boardgames which need to go somewhere they have a chance of being played.

14 comments:

  1. Check out the new lines from Splintered Light. He has 2 lines. a 15mm dungeon crawl line and some 28mm fantasy as well.

    http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/plchse.html

    I love their dark ages lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reaper Miniatures would IMO be the best place to start. Their Bones line of plastic figs (mostly based on older metal figs they have) is a cheap way to get some, especially larger monster types. Iron Wind Metals would also be good; lots of the older Ral Partha stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd second Reaper as a good low cost choice.

      Delete
  3. Ian, I am sure I have some Lord of the Rings figures around (some still in the blisters) that I would be happy to send your way if interested...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could help, but I know nothing about where to buy these. Though I am looking forward to seeing the end results. It's neat that you're trying something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reaper (as mentioned above) make a huge variety of miniatures and their scale and proportions are good. Their Bones line is softer plastic and very inexpensive. Other ideas:

    Otherworld Miniatures: very nice fantasy miniatures, a relatively new line of adventurers, lots of monsters & monstrous humanoids, realistic style of proportions. Downside: not cheap, but not a bad trade for the quality.

    Wargames Factory: inexpensive plastic sets..they have some tolkien-style orcs (think Bakshi's Lord of the Rings), skeletons, amazons could fit into fantasy.

    prepaints click miniatures: Mage Knight, D&D Minis... lots of inexpensive minis: clip them off the base & repaint them. Lots of variety. Sculpting quality varies widely too, so pick & chose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Red Box games are great real scale fantasy figures with a dark ages feel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reaper would be my suggestion. Go with the metal mini's though. Stay away from the BONES.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you've got some great suggestions already. I do know what you mean about doing something completely different though, best of luck with the diversion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hasslefree are expensive but good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crumbs, the most commented on post for a while and thanks to all for your suggestions, I have started to look at the options already.

    @ Chris, I do like a little history with my Roleplay so like to mix in the real with the surreal. It does have to be 28mm though to fit in with what I have.

    @ Sonsoftaurus, I wanted to go for the Bones kickstarter as the price was really good but at the time it was beyond my reach ££££. Not sure though if I will get on with plastic but can but try. Iron Wind I will have to have a look at though I am not a fan of the early Ral Partha if it's allowed to say that LOL.

    @ Conrad, thanks for the seconding. I do like the poses of Reaper and many of the figures don't have the insane sized weapons.

    @ Jonathan, that sounds great, get in touch and I hope we can sort something out, you do know I'm in the UK right? Is there any figures your wanting that I can get over to you?

    @ Andrew, noted thanks, another vote for Splintered and Reaper

    @ Happy, neat indeed but it's not so much new as revisited as I used to do it years ago, just my painting is much better now so it will be interesting what I can come up with.

    @ Laughing Ferret, some good pointers, I am prepared to pay a higher premium for really well cast figures, looking at Dark Sword as well and these look excellent

    @ James, another Dark Age supplier but in 28mm, got to check them out thanks

    @ Anne, I have seen some mould lines on some of the bones that have made me cringe some but you get that on the metal as well. What is it about the Bones you want me to avoid?

    @ Michael, indeed your Trinian's project is very left of centre for you. I could really get into doing a Zombie roleplay game based on The Walking Dead but need to keep myself away from such a move LOL

    @ Fran, Indeed another fine company. I will start painting up some of the figures I already have in preparation of moving forward with others once I have raised the capital.

    Again thanks for all the suggestions, this will keep me entertained for awhile

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, let me know how to contact you directly and I'll go through what I have and send you a package of some various models. Yeah, I know you are in the UK, no worries :)

      Delete
    2. @ Jonathan, right at the bottom of my page is my profile, click on that and you will be able to get my e-mail from that page but it's ian_willey @ hotmail dotcom

      That's underscore not a dash

      Thanks
      Ian

      Delete
  11. Will you take before and after photos?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.