Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Tuesday 19 November 2013

Dark Sword Ranger

Actually Dark Sword has this figure as Prince of the North, Male Archer DSM-1121 but for us the figure was a stand in for a player until the correct figure could be found. Even so I wanted to do a good job for two reasons. First it was a way of welcoming a new player into roleplaying and showed him that we wanted to do well. Secondly, the sculpt was so damn good it deserved a good job.


I mostly went for a mix of forest like colours without a lot of green, though the trousers do look a bit bright in the pictures. Well in the flesh they are still a bit bright but I really like the overall effect. In the end it was a little rushed to get it finished as the first session saw the figure almost finished. The only figure fully finished that night though was the Dwarf as even Lee had not quite finished his figure.

Whilst the Dark Sword miniatures are excellent I am not much of a fan of the raised bases and I may have been tempted to remove the figure from it's base if I had more time. Overall I would rate this figure as a 8 out of 10 as it really works for me as an adventurer and has the right historical feel that I want in my games. It lacks what most figures tend to and that's furniture. He has a small dagger as well which is great but not so much as a purse never mind anything else to carry any equipment. I realise you can't have all the gear they carry displayed on the figure but a little something would help.

As you can see from the close up the miniature has a wealth of detail and rewards even a casual attempt to join the dots. I have a good few more Dark Sword figures, most will be NPC's and occasional contacts but all will be given the good brush treatment.

14 comments:

  1. Nice work Ian, I like what you've done with the base!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks awfully determined, great job Ian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work on a very good figure !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice - I can see what you mean about the raised base though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job. How do DS miniatures size up with most 28 - 32mm figures?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool figure, I like the color palette a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say very nice work and the figure is nice too. I am going to have to check out this company

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Andrew, I think you would do a great job, the detail is quite fine in places but in good hands like yours it would be a fantastic piece of work.

    @ Fran, Thanks, I added the grass and tufts but the texture was already sculptured into the figure

    @ Michael, he does don't he, very well sculptured for sure

    @ Ray, cheers mate

    @ Sam, thanks, the figure is really nice I bought about ten figures altogether so you will see them as they come off the table.

    @ Conrad, yes I feel they are meant more as art pieces than gaming figures. On the suppliers blog interface seems most are buying just to paint.

    @ Phil, why thank you,

    @ Adam, off base they would match up well with the typical 28mm figures but they are not chunky in build as some 28's are. Some of the figures are not on the raised base so would have no problem fitting in.

    @ Dave, Thanks, wonder what you would do with them though

    @ Sean, cheers, the next figure from the range will probably be painted in the Painting Challenge

    @ Paul, if you go looking on e-bay typing in Dark Sword you will find a guy selling the figures for about £3.50 - £5 and these normally go for £8+ so a good price

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS: Is painting relaxing for you, like clipping coupons is for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so. Unless I am really tired it helps me a lot as it helps keep me awake and takes a lot of fatigue away. It had a great deal to do with my getting better

      Ian

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.