Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Tuesday 14 January 2014

Base Work

Well in the middle of the painting challenge and suddenly slowed right down as I build a rather large base for a sniper reminder. This one will be set in Stalingrad and it has me testing a few ideas as well as expanding a few methods I learnt about a year ago.

Using my old favourite Linka I am building pavements and walls. In the foreground is the floorboards, at this point just a sheet of balsa.

The window was originally a Warbases full window but I like to smash them up a bit as you can see. These are surprisingly strong but reward the effort with realistic damage when attacked with scalpel and pliers.

I also added some of the Model Display Products (MDP) bricks to the base, though I was to add more at stage two. The bricks are oversized when used with Linka but most of them were reduced in size before being added.

The balsa in place to check the fitting. You can see from the cut out where the figure will be seated, saves cutting him off the base.

Something that really made me happy was that I was able to use the vice my Dad had made in this project. Sometimes I really miss him such as these as I never got to show him that I have become something of a model maker like he used to be and so little pleasures like this have to be taken when possible.

Basic painting job and some more landscaping to follow, and hopefully before the weekend some more figures entered into the Challenge.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I finished it the following day so got the base work done fairly quickly

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Well done and thanks for sharing, I would like to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be entering this in the Analogue Painting Challenge so you won't see it for at least a couple of weeks I am afraid but I am working on another two so these will be up sooner

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Your Dad would be chuffed that you've used his vice and also that you are such a great modeller I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good! Can't wait to see the finished results

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think it's worth the wait as it's the best work I have done, ..... well this year! :-)

      Ian

      Delete
  5. That's a cracking start Ian, great job Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I'm not getting a lot done for the challenge but I am enjoying the challenge of getting this base right

      Ian

      Delete
  6. Interesting to see how you make your buildings! Thanks for sharing!
    I also hate it to unbase figures!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good old Linka, though it won't be a full building

    Ian

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.