Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Saturday 7 March 2015

Warbases Movement Tray

I was finishing off some figures for this weeks entry into the Challenge (none of these) and thought I would have a go at dressing up one of the movement trays I bought at York from Warbases. The idea being is that I can make changes if I did not like the results.

I used the same system as I would for normal basing as I want it to look as similar as possible. I bluetacked 2p pieces into the holes before applying the masonry paint and prised them out once the sand had been added.

I also needed to use a sharp knife to clean the sand and paint out of the holes once it had dried, this allows the figures to be popped in place without having to force them into the slots risking damage to the figures.

I am pleased with the overall effect and will be doing the same to the other bases I have waiting to be done. These may get double duty as a handy storage base and for any games where we will be using shield walls once we have all of the figures we have painted up. I know one think for certain, I will be needing more of them, they do different sized ones so I have to make my mind up on amount per base.

20 comments:

  1. They look great. I hadn't though to sliding bases in to help keep it clean. I'll have to do that in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the idea from trying to put figs in the holes that had some excess basing gunk on the sides, made me think of the stuff that could get in whilst doing the trays.

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Do the bases come assembled or do they need gluing together? If the latter, it may make more sense to do the groundwork before gluing the upper to the lower.

    Nice looking movement tray :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They come ready finished but I am sure you could ask for them in two parts, personally I like it as they are.

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Fine work on these figs, Ian they look great - and on the basing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mix of Black Tree Miniatures and GB plastics

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Nice work Ian. I have quite a few of these, which I must get round to painting. I like the idea of filling the hole first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of those round too jobs that can take forever to finally do

      Ian

      Delete
  5. Aye they scrub up well. Takes a bit of time scraping rogue sand off, but worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great paint work, great basing and great colors...love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I am not sure how many 28mm Viking's I have painted, best get them sorted

      Ian

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, group shot once I have finished the other trays I think

      Ian

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Cheers Rodger, rest will have to wait for a few days at least

      Ian

      Delete
  9. The movement bases do make things a bit easier on the tabletop, and these have been nicely matched with the bases of the figs. Very tidy work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been using this basing system for a couple of years now so it tends to come out looking the same so the trays should hopefully all match up reasonable well

      Ian

      Delete
  10. Looks really good. Excellent result. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will get a few more at the next show to go with the rest

      Ian

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.