Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Friday 1 May 2015

15mm Macedonian Pike Phalanx

With the interest in Hail Caesar continuing to increase and at least one opponent looking to switch their 15mm over to the rule system I have been galvanised into painting up some of those long standing members of the lead pile. These are a mix of Essex and er someone else?

Whilst not historically accurate I do like to have my blocks of pike to be of different colours and shades, though this is the first green unit. Hail Caesar allows for larger games and it's fairly obvious that whilst I can manage with five blocks I can also get away with plenty more. 

I still have enough figures for two and a half more blocks so it's very likely that these will be taking a turn on the painting table though I still have their 6mm versions on the go as well. 

A block in 15mm costs about £13-15 in lead which kind of adds up when you stop to count (of course we don't like doing that). Is was fun talking to Matt about his Macedonian army and his comment that he had maxed out under WRG 6th only to realise that this would equal I think five blocks. Funny how the rules went from Matt's pike heavy numbers to a few stands under DBA (never looked right) to Field of Glory that overall increased the numbers above 6th and now Hail Caesar certanly allows that figure to be topped. I though I had finished growing my 15mm Ancient armies and now I have a urge for lots more Persian cavalry.

Of course the Macedonian army is a great army for the collector as so many other options become available for the period and at the core of them is a nice steady pike block or three.

Of course you can get too carried away, here is all my blocks together, with two more I might have to stand on the neighbours garden to get them all in shot. Whilst the pike seem to be a manageable price and hoplites are really cheap (not points wise though) coming in ant a little over £6 a unit if you buy enough in one go. Cavalry really seem expensive. Our typical unit is twelve figures, that's £10 a unit, have I become accustomed to the low price of 6mm or am I right that 15mm seems to have increased in price out of whack with 6 and 28mm?

As I mentioned I do plan to increase my cavalry, especially for the Macedonian's as they really do suffer for a lack of cavalry, whilst the Persian's have a lot already I just fancy more.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful and most impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, lots of blocks of pike do tend to have a certain appeal.

      Ian

      Delete
  2. I agree with Phil ! great work and impressive army !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I desperately need to upgrade the cavalry as that is lagging behind the infantry

      Ian

      Delete
  3. stunning looking units! well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think Hail Caesar is going to cost me more money than I first thought

      Ian

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.